Sunday, February 18, 2007

the savant...

ive decided to start another comic. yep, as some of u may have known, ive been tossing around ideas for a while now. its been very frustrating. i think the whole process of coming up with a good plot device that gets your whole story going is probably the hardest thing in storytelling. Most of the time u come up with an idea, which is quite good, but you dont FEEL IT. you say "yeah, thats a good idea. its good. mm...but do i REALLY want to spend 2yrs of my life developing it? naaahhh."

i was feeling like that for a long time now. ever since i finished my last comic, Uberman, which (holy cow!) has been a YEAR now, ive been trying to come up with an original story. All my past comics were parodies of other TV shows, movies, etc with my friends or classmates in them. Uberman was quite original, but it still borrowed heavily from Smallville and Superman. (wait...they're the same arent they...) I wanted to do a comic that i could call my own. One that i could possibly send out to publishing companies.

About a week ago, i was lying down on my couch (cos it was too darn HOT to sleep of my loft bed), and as i was dozing off, i suddenly had this major influx of ideas! i dunno why...but i find that you get CRAZY ideas just before u fall asleep. Trouble is, u usually forget them the next morning. And i definitely didnt want that to happen! so i got up, booted up my comp, opened MS Word, and wrote down about 3 pages of text...just mental vomiting it all out. (note to self: need to develop this technique for essay writing).
I started pencilling the first page 2 days ago, and just finished inking and scanning it today. Its got hardly any text in it, but hopefully it helps to set the tone for the rest of the book.

click on the image to see a larger one!

No comments: