Sunday, May 07, 2006

great train race

I just got back from the Great Train Race!
It was very fun!....although the weather was terrible. I woke up at 6am and the sky was loooking very dark and ominous. By the time i left the apartment at 7, there was a slight drizzle...and by the time i got to uni it had become a larger drizzle. A few of us met at uni and carpooled to the race, which is somewhere in the dandenongs i believe. Its about 1hr away from the city, so its very suburban. Not to the extent of sheeps n farmstays, but its still a fair way out from the city.

When we got to the startline. the drizzle had developed into light rain. I had to put my warm jacket n tracksuit in a plastic bag and deposit it into a truck that would bring all the stuff to the endpoint. So there i was....in just my running singlet n shorts....in the 15 degree cold, with rain slowly but persistently soaking my clothes. I did some warm-up jogs which didnt serve to warm me up very much, then proceeded to the startline with a couple of friends.

At the stratline, while waiting for the race to be flagged off, it started POURING!! and everyone starting making lots of noise...not in the angry mob way, but in a fun-spirited way. it was great!! The rain continued thru the entire race, although it did subside as the race went on.

for the record, I BEAT THE TRAIN!! woohoooo. i didnt think that i could. I was telling myself in the beginning that i would just treat this as a fun run, cos the timing to beat seemed a little out of my reach. but as the race went on, i felt on form and decided to give it a try. In the end, the train did 54m50sec for 13.2km.....and i did 54m18sec. towards the end of the course, i was almost sprinting alongside the train to get to the finish line...and ppl in the train were cheering us on. it was great!

oh and on the way home, my friend's car started making weird noises and the engine temp was real high! so we pulled over and added water into the radiator, which then started spewing out steam!! haha...it was funny and scary at the same time, cos we were still very far from civilisation at the time.

i'm back home now of course...just woke up from a nap and gonna start working for the rest of the evening. had to wash n scrub all my running attire n shoes just now cos they were drenched in mud! the running course is part-tarred road, part-macritchie-like dirt terrain....so u can imagine after a downpour how muddy it got!

despite christian's gestures, that cant be a good thing...

No comments: